Saturday, January 26, 2013

Covered with Love

For Kate on her birthday...

Shortly after Ramsey's diagnosis, I viewed a story on the local news about an amazing woman named Kate Crawford. After the loss of her daughter Shannon, and the subsequent NICU stay of her three other children, Kate and some friends started Project Sweet Peas. Project Sweet Peas is a non-profit organization run by volunteers across the country, who through personal experience have become passionate about providing comfort to families with children in the intensive care units and to those who have experienced pregnancy and infant loss. Kate named her division after her daughter...Project Sweet Peas Shannon's Star. Shannon's Star works with Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh and Magee-Womens NICUs to provide their patients, and families with items to aid them throughout their stay.

Kate's project was especially touching to me since I knew we would be one of the families served by her project. What the news didn't mention, but I soon discovered, was that Kate's daughter Shannon died from CDH. A few days later, Kate and I spoke for the first time. I had so many questions for Kate, and she was eager to help in any way she could. It was comforting to have gained a local friend who understood the fear of what we faced.

After Ramsey's birth, and before I was even discharged from West Penn, Kate delivered one of Project Sweat Peas signature tote bags. The bag had hospital necessities like paper, pens, chapstick and lotion...but it was filled with more than just that. It was filled with love.  There was a frame painted by Kate that said "Sweet Pea" and had Ramsey's name painted on it. A wooden turquoise star, also handpainted, read "Ramsey, Strong Soldier" (the meaning of his middle name). Kate selected a beautiful handmade quilt just for Ramsey. The fabric was covered in ladybugs, which she shared, reminded her of her daughter Shannon. Shannon is one of the angels watching over him. I remember sitting by Ramsey's bed, when I couldn't hold him, and I couldn't yet cover him with it. So, I held it. I spread the small quilt over my legs and let it comfort me. I was covered with love.

Butterflies in memory of Shannon and a cute mask.


Ramsey: Strong Soldier


Now, it is our turn to cover Kate with love. Kate has faced the unimaginable in her young lifetime, and she is about to do it again. She was just diagnosed with breast cancer. She and her husband, Steve, who have grown so accustomed to helping others now need our help. Can you join me in praying for Kate and her family? Let's show her that her good deads have not gone unnoticed. Let's overwhelm her with prayer. Let's cover her with love.

Show your support to Kate and her family on their Facebook page!
Watch this great story on Kate!


14 comments:

  1. Lisa....
    I am beyond words. Which, for me, is very, very weird. My heart goes out to Kate. It breaks for her. Especially knowing that I am a survivor of CDH. I'm alive and well. Yet her precious daughter was not as fortunate.... What a strong, brave woman this Kate. ;)
    --Raelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for Kate's diagnosis. I will truly be thinking of her with prayers and thoughts. It's a tough battle but I think Kate will be a fighter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lisa for posting this, I left Kate a message on her page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers coming to cover Kate and her family. Thanks for sharing this, Lisa. I have goosebumps from the tenderness and humanness of it all. Sending love...
    Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa....
    Happy Valentine's Day!! ;-D
    --Raelyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate's story has taken over my thoughts lately. So many of us that have had children with CDH think that we have suffered all that we can handle for a life time. For many of us that might be true.... but not for Kate. She has gone through so much and yet here it comes again. I will be wearing pink tomorrow for her on her first day of chemo. She is in my thoughts and prayers.
    Lots of love,
    Stacy and the Novak's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Stacy. It seems unfair that she has to go through another trial. Thank goodness she is fighting this with a positive attitude and a strength that she has already proven.

      Delete
  7. Lisa....
    There have not been any new Blog posts lately!! I am missing Ramsey, my Kindred Spirit CDH Buddy!! I hope that he is staying healthy and thriving!! ;)
    --Raelyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa....
    It has been well over a month since you have posted on this Blog!! I miss Ramsey, my Kindred Spirit CDH buddy!! I hope that he is staying healthy and thriving!! ;)
    --Raelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Raelyn! I've been intending to write a post since you last checked in. No news is good news :) Ramsey is doing great! He had a little cold last week and that was the only illness he's had this winter. We are very fortunate for a healthy household!

      Delete
    2. BTW, if you're on FB, you can like his page. Sometimes I post things there. https://www.facebook.com/RootingForRamsey

      Delete
  9. Lisa....
    "No news is good news"!! Praise God for that!! Keep thriving, Ramsey!! Prove those doctors wrong!! ;-D
    I'm not on Facebook, although, perhaps I should be? Hmmm.... ;)
    --Raelyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa....
    It has been two months since you last posted on this Blog!! {I should seriously consider getting on Facebook!!} I am still missing Ramsey, my fellow Kindred Spirit CDH Buddy!! ;)
    --Raelyn

    ReplyDelete